Thursday, October 27, 2011

I love the New York Times movie reviewers because...well, for lots of reasons, but because, while being oh so smart, they're not afraid to just lay it all out there. Each review ends with the movie's rating, and the reasons for that rating. Usually the reasons have been tweaked.

The coda to A.O. Scott's delightful review of "Anonymous" (you know, that movie that puts forth the old theory that Shakespeare's plays were written by a well-heeled noble supporter?) reads thusly:

"“Anonymous” is rated PG-13 (Parents strongly cautioned). Swordplay, bodice ripping, bawdy speech and the cold-blooded murder of the truth."

Spectacular. With just that last sentence, Scott simultaneously rips the movie apart AND increases my desire to watch it.

2 comments:

  1. Love it! I want to see it now too! Maybe you should forget the Library thing and pursue a movie reviewer career. Which do you love more, books or movies?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both. Movies. I'm lazy and I don't have to read. No books because you can pack so much more into a book. I DON'T KNOW.

    Maybe I should pursue a career as a motion picture archivist. Then I can get another Master's in film history or something useful like that. AND TALK ABOUT MOVIES ALL DAY.

    ReplyDelete

Please know that (1) I LOVE comments, and (2) if you leave an anonymous comment, I will be driven insane wondering who you are.

I just told you how to simultaneously make me really happy and really crazy (well crazier than normal anyways). That's probably dangerous.