Thursday, April 8, 2010

So probably no one cares about this, but I just say the most impressive presentation I can remember. Today, in my digital libraries class, we started presentations of the two final projects. The projects were 1) report on an existing digital library, and 2) use the open source digital library program "Greenstone" to build your own digital library. Most of the projects are similar to mine, people have have little idea of what they're doing with the new software. BUT one student got it in a way which I can never hope to understand. The collection I built (and everyone else's) was very basic, mostly just a list of items, not much metadata (identifying information) or organization. Which is fine, that meets the requirements. This guy though, took it above and beyond, creating multiple access points for each item, so his collection is searchable by title, author, genre, blah blah blah. The items are presented in tables (noooo idea how he did that) and all his analysis was just above and beyond. We were all blown away, having communal text chat head explosion while he was presenting. I want to be him.

1 comment:

Please know that (1) I LOVE comments, and (2) if you leave an anonymous comment, I will be driven insane wondering who you are.

I just told you how to simultaneously make me really happy and really crazy (well crazier than normal anyways). That's probably dangerous.