Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Is it normal for adult siblings to still hurt each other (emotionally, not physically...though I'm not sure the poking and play-wrestling will ever stop)? I feel like I should be past that stage- the stage of giving or receiving hurt, but every once in a while something happens that makes me question entire relationships. It just doesn't seem reasonable to me that two adults should be able to be so petty, defensive, judgmental, or quick to anger. I am as guilty of all of these things as either of my brothers, and I wish that weren't true. Of any of us. Of course, those aren't the only causes, there's also the fact that, even coming from the same background, we can all see the world so fundamentally differently. If the pain given or taken arose from a difference in principles or values, that would be more understandable. But when it is the result of assumptions, accusations, and a basic failure to listen, it seems so much worse.

I guess the basic question here is really this- why does life hurt so much sometimes?

But really, tell me- doyou still have situations like this with your siblings? Or am I abnormal? Maybe I just take things too seriously.

3 comments:

  1. Once in a while... usually around thanksgiving.... there is a Booth family fight-fest. And tears are involved. And 4 out of 5 daughters are over the age of 21. So. If your family isn't normal.... mine for sure isn't.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You thought that just because people grow up, they stop fighting? Silly. If anything, the fights become bigger, more validated, and still totally petty. As much as I love my siblings, I resent them. Daily. :D For example, my sister lived three hours away for the first year of her marriage. No one was happy about the marriage in the first place - it was a total betrayal to us all. Then she took off, and never looked back. Relationships hanging on by a thread. So she finally comes back, like...6 months ago. And we're all happy to make things better. And then bam, her kid is always getting my kid sick, she takes everything my mom has to offer so that my mom can't help anyone but her, and then the cake topper? She contracts cmv and gives it to every single member of my family, making it so that i can't be near any of them for months, because it's harmful to pregnant ladies. so while im sick and dieing, my poor mckenzi suffers without the help of my mother/family, because heather has infected everyone and they're all slaves to HER. end rant. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When I went to visit my brothers and sister this summer with my mom and dad I totally regressed to the the stressed out pubertal teenanger, quick to tears and misunderstood. Sheero.

    ReplyDelete

Please know that (1) I LOVE comments, and (2) if you leave an anonymous comment, I will be driven insane wondering who you are.

I just told you how to simultaneously make me really happy and really crazy (well crazier than normal anyways). That's probably dangerous.