Thursday, October 15, 2009

Movie update!

Movies I've watched recently:


I don't think I've seen a more utterly delightful movie in recent years. It was (to list a few things) hilarious, heart-breaking, heart-felt, real, wonderful, hopeful, and a really really good use of my time. I recommend it to everyone I know, because I know that you will love it. Think Juno but not disgusting and way more positive. Not that Juno wasn't positive, because it had its moments, but mostly it was kind of meh. Definitely definitely watch Whip It



I'm still not entirely sure what to say about this movie. Not that I don't like it, because I do. A lot. I love it actually. But (a warning) it's not at all a piece of carefree period fluff. Bright Star tells the story of famous Romantic poet John Keats, and his fiance, Fanny Brawne. They meet when Keats is renting rooms from a Brawne family friend, and her concern for his sick brother draws them together. Their relationship anchors her, giving weight and importance to a life obsessed with fashion and flirting. It does the same for him, lifting him from a deep depression, and fueling not only his writing, but his will to live. He, unfortunately, is deep in debt and has no income to speak of, and so the two are unable to marry. He and others try to push Fanny to move on and find someone else, but she refuses to do so. They wait for three years, he contracts tuberculosis, travels to Italy for the warmer climate at the urging of his friends, and dies alone. This is not an unfamiliar story, but the way it's told is very unusual. There is nothing revolutionary about this film, what makes it exceptional is the painstaking craftsmanship that went into making it. John Keats and Fanny Brawne are not stereotypical characters locked in an ill-fated romance working towards a storybook ending. You come to know them intimately, you see them change, you know their backstory, you understand the outside forces acting on them, and you are allowed to know them in a way which few films permit. This understanding and empathy with them makes their story more personal and more powerful. It is careful, quiet, and utterly beautiful.



FAME (picture malfunction...I'm too lazy to replace it.)
It was a movie about a performing arts high school. Nothing that new or original. It was better then the first one, if only for the fact that this was rated PG while the original was R. Yeah, I'll download some of the songs, but I don't think I'll ever watch it again. It was fluff and fulfilled my entertainment needs at the time.




First of all, what a creepy poster. Second of all, Bruce Willis' surrogate looks really creepy. Lastly, it was better than Push but not as good as, say, the first Transformers. So good but not great. What I found most interesting was the commentary on how technology changes people's lives. The society in this movie had become completely insular. They stayed at home all the time, and never left as themselves. I think we see a measure of that today with the modern conveniences we enjoy. The point- please leave your house at least once a day, and don't ever have more aquaintances or friends online than you have in real life.

And yes, I just turned that silly movie ino a warning on how not to live your life. So there.




Meh. Some thoughts:
1. Adam Rodriguez is a VERY attractive man
2. Gladys Knight!!!
3. Taraji P. Henson was not anywhere near as good as I expected her to be (straight off of winning an Oscar for a 10-minute performance and all). But that's mostly the script's fault.
4. Madea gives the BEST summary of the bible I have ever heard. When I find a good clip, I'll post it.
5. Other than those things, this movie is complete crap. Good intentions poorly realized.
6. Did I mention Adam Rodriguez? 'Cause wow.



ALL ABOUT STEVE
Sandra Bullock is too old to play this character. I'm sorry, I really like her, but it's true. She just is. That being said, she's kind of sweet and sad (when she's not creepy and over-trusting). Probably don't waste your time, it's a little heavy on the awkward moments and just not that satisfying to watch. And her boots, the red boots she wears constantly, look like she bought them at a fetish shop an a seedy side street in downtown L.A. Not cute.




I'm really glad I decided to write this if only so that I could find this poster. I like it that much. Yes, this just started playing at the dollar theater in Chattanooga. Which, let me complain for a moment, is not actually a dollar theater, but a "$3 for matinees and heaven only knows how much for an evening" theater. Anyways, it was just as good as the first time. The scene in the cave, when Dumbledore creates the giant swirling fire hurricane is...awesome. That is all.

6 comments:

  1. I feel the same as you about All About Steve. The trailer showed the best moments. Also. I LOVE WHIP IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw man dude, I really REALLY want to see Whip It, but I don't have anyone here I could really picture myself watching it with. Sigh. Move back please. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn doesn't believe me when I told him I really want to join the roller derby. After I have the baby, of course! There might be one in Provo, right?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe not in Provo, but there's got to be one in Salt Lake. And if there's not one already, I'm sure they'll start one soon because of this movie. But why won't shawn watch it with you? He would probably like it. It's SO good! Did he like Juno?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Remember how we went and saw HP at midnight? and someone exploded some fireworks in the parking lot and that kid next to us was like "someone just broke their wand...."

    And Ya. Dumbledore was a total fire lassoing Bad A.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes. And remember how we played Phase 10 in a popcorn bucket? Classic.

    ReplyDelete

Please know that (1) I LOVE comments, and (2) if you leave an anonymous comment, I will be driven insane wondering who you are.

I just told you how to simultaneously make me really happy and really crazy (well crazier than normal anyways). That's probably dangerous.